At the heart of our Zumba® Love platform, we believe in making meaningful connections and building a happier, safer and more accepting world for all including the LGBTQIA+ community.
PRIDE is more than just a month-long celebration, but rather a long history of struggle endured by so many people. That’s why we are committed to using our voices and resources to support programs and organizations like the It Gets Better Project that advocate for respect and fair treatment for the LGBTQIA+ community.
IT GETS BETTER PROJECT
We stand with the It Gets Better Project’s mission to uplift, empower, and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer, intersex and asexual (LGBTQIA+) youth around the globe. At Zumba®, we envision a world where every person has the freedom to dance their truth. That’s why as part of our efforts to support the It Gets Better Project, we are excited to be a part of their 2021 Digital Pride Experience with a fun Zumba integration taking place on June 24, at 11AM PT/2PM ET on the It Gets Better Project YouTube channel.
#BEMYSELFchallenge on Instagram
In a class near you, there is a Zumba® Instructor bringing students together to support the LGBTQIA+ community and practicing their moves for a chance to be featured on our Instagram channel. You want in? For every 30-second choreo you post to the song “Be Myself” using #BEMYSELFchallenge on Instagram, Zumba® will donate $1 (up to $10,000) to the It Gets Better Project.
OTHER WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
Our commitment to inclusivity and equality for the LGBTQIA+ community extends beyond Pride Month. We want every day to be a purposeful effort toward inspiring and encouraging LGBTQIA+ people to know their worth and to fearlessly pursue their greatest potential. You can be a part of that mission!
Here are some thoughtful ways to get involved and educational resources to get you started. The information contained in these resources was not created by us and is being provided for general informational purposes only. We are not responsible for the content contained in these resources and make no representation regarding the accuracy, adequacy, reliability, availability or completeness of any information:
Queer Zumba in Australia
We are so inspired by the community being created and nurtured in Canberra through the work of Queer Zumba – an innovative approach to dance, fitness and social opportunities for Canberra’s LGBTIQ+ community to promote mental health and wellbeing. For more information, click here.
Articles to read:
- 30+ Examples of Cisgender Privilege
- What does the asterisk in “trans*” stand for?
- 6 Epic Life Lessons from Todrick Hall
- About Marsha P. Johnson Institute
Media to watch:
- Do I Sound Gay? Documentary
- The Mask We Live In Documentary
- Todrick Hall’s documentary on Netflix ‘Behind The Curtain’
Websites that dig a little deeper:
- TransWhat? | www.transwhat.org | “A Guide Towards [Trans] Allyship”
- We Are The Youth — www.wearetheyouth.org — “Sharing stories of LGBTQ youth in the United States.”
- Bisexual.org | www.bisexual.org | “A voice to the bisexual community, share accurate information, answer questions, and provide resources for further learning.”
- It’s Pronounced Metrosexual | www.itspronouncedmetrosexual.com | an online resource educating on issues of identity, sexuality, gender, privilege, and oppression, but in a fun, approachable way.
- It Gets Better Project | https://itgetsbetter.org/education/
Foundations to support:
- GLAAD — www.glaad.org
- GLSEN — www.glsen.org
- Forge — http://forge-forward.org/
- It Gets Better Project — www.itgetsbetter.org
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force — http://www.thetaskforce.org/
- National Center for Transgender Equality — https://transequality.org/
- PFLAG — www.pflag.org
- Transgender Law Center — https://transgenderlawcenter.org/
- The Trevor Project — www.thetrevorproject.org