You may have spent the winter and spring working on fitness goals in time for summer, but the warmest months of the year are perfect for continuing to be fit and healthy. Unfortunately, strong sun, excessive heat, and other summer staples can take a toll on your body. Here are five ways to make sure your summer workouts are safe and enjoyable.
- Drink up! It’s always important to stay hydrated, but in the warmest months of the year it’s critical to drink even more water than usual. Hydrating is one of your body’s ways of regulating your temperature. Start drinking water or sports drinks right away – if you wait until you feel thirsty, you’re already on your way to being dehydrated.
- Slather on sunscreen. It may not be the most convenient thing to do, but wearing sunscreen during outdoor exercise is a must. On a high UV index day, you can burn in as little as 10-15 minutes – regardless of your skin tone! For everything you ever wanted to know about sunscreen, check out this recent Consumer Reports study.
- HIIT it! High-intensity interval training, or HIIT, allows you to trade a long cardio session for a shorter workout with similar (or better!) results. You can burn calories quicker, getting back to a cooler body temperature faster. STRONG by Zumba™is a new HIIT format, set to the kind of music you love, coming to gyms near you later this year.
- Be an early bird. Working out before the hottest part of the day (which is generally between 10am and 3pm) will help keep you from overheating. You’ll get bonus benefits, too, like a metabolism boost and a clear mind to start your day.
- Sweat indoors. The easiest way to beat the heat is to workout indoors before heading out to enjoy the summer weather. We recommend taking your favorite Zumba class at the gym or dance studio to get fit while keeping cool.