Are you ready for a break? Need an excuse to relax? It’s time for a dance movie marathon! You deserve a break, so we’ve compiled our 10 favorite dance movies. Get comfy, grab some (healthy!) snacks, and check out these fan favorites.
1. Footloose: A ban on dancing? No way! We dare you to try and sit still during this Kevin Bacon movie from the 1980s.
2. Save the Last Dance: A quintessential coming of age story, Julia Stiles plays a young dancer trying to find her way after moving to Chicago. She creates a ballet/urban fusion style all of her own and we can watch this final performance over and over again!
3. Magic Mike: This movie features a very (ahem) specific kind of dancing, but the moves from Channing Tatum and crew are too hot to not make this list.
4. Saturday Night Fever: With the Bee Gees headlining the soundtrack and John Travolta serving as the leading man trying to win a dance competition, this movie is bound to give you boogie fever!
5. Shall We Dance: This 1937 flick is a classic. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers play a ballet dancer and a tapper, respectively, and win the audience over with one fantastic routine after another. Check out this tapping talent!
6. Billy Elliott: Set in England, an 11 year old Billy discovers ballet is his true passion. Following a boy’s journey to become a dancer despite a lack of support, this movie is both inspirational and heartwarming.
7. Fame: In this 1980 drama, you get not only dancers but musicians and singers too! Taking inspiration from the real LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Art, Fame provides a glimpse into adolescence in New York City during a tumultuous time.
8. West Side Story: The Mambo battle scene is sure to get you on the edge of your seat, no matter how many times you’ve seen this classic musical. We love the mix of traditional Latin moves with 1950s dances… just don’t try dance-fighting in real life!
9. Step Up: Yep, Channing Tatum makes the list twice with this franchise of movies starting in 2006 with the original story about Tyler and Nora. You’re sure to pick up some choreo you’ll want to try!
10. Dirty Dancing: Funny. Emotional. Timeless. Let Baby and Johnny take you on a trip to a 1960s summer resort. Just don’t try the lift scene without giving your dance partner ample warning. #CrazyForSwayze
Honorable Mentions: Center Stage, Black Swan, Happy Feet, and Flashdance didn’t make our list but will definitely entertain if you’re not ready for the movie marathon to end!