You probably have a few parties on your calendar this holiday season, but did you know attending a party can give your mood a huge boost? Sure, socializing and enjoying a meal are great, but the real secret ingredient to feeling great is… music! Here are five facts about music that prove it’s critical to happiness:
1. Music can improve your physical state, and has been used by doctors to treat patients suffering from everything from high blood pressure to strokes.
2. Music is proven to enhance cognitive performance in people diagnosed with dementia.
3. Human beings are designed to enjoy and learn from music – even at one day old, babies can identify musical rhythms and enjoy musical sounds.
4. Our brains appreciate that songs are organized and predictable, and music puts us at ease.
5. Studies have shown that, if you want to be happier, listening to joyful music is a quick, free, and easy way to get there.
We already know how great dancing is for our minds and bodies, and given what music can do for you, there’s no excuse to skip the dance floor at your next party this holiday season! If you’re hosting a gathering, a curated playlist of joyful songs is a must. And if you’re heading out as a guest, you might want to share this article with your hostess ahead of time. ‘Tis the season, after all, and we should all encourage each other to put ourselves first and join the #TreatYourselfChallenge!