Ready To Streak? Here’s our how-to…
Looking for a new hairstyle without too much commitment or cash? Then give chalking a try. A new way to streak strands, this simple trick adds a burst of head-turning, temporary color at the hand of good ol’ fashion chalk. From ombre to dip-dyed tips, hair chalking is a fun way to achieve haute hues that easily wash out with shampoo at the end of the day. We turned to Rusk Stylist Naz Kupelian for some DIY tips on how-to rock the look loved by celebrities such as Katy Perry, Nikki Minaj and Lauren Conrad.
1. First section off the hair and spray each section with water. (TIP: If you have lighter hair you may want to skip this step to avoid pigment overstaying its welcome!)
2. Then, while wearing a pair of gloves, twist the sectioned pieces and rub the desired chalk color over the strands. Make sure to use pastel — not oil-based — formulas.
3. Feel free to be bold and use more than one color, just remember when layering colors, begin with the lightest color first.
4. Next, dry the chalked pieces with a blow dryer or flat iron to set the color.
5. To remove, simply shampoo and condition as usual.
Check out these chalks to get-the-look: Pastel Chalk, art supply stores nationwide; Temporary Color Hair Chalk, $14.00, available at ; Beyond The Zone Color Buzz.
Top photographs by Laura Tillinghast
Behind the scenes photographs by Evan Chung